Saturday, August 01, 2015

Fast food workers face the wrath of elitist snobs

"When I give food to the poor, I'm called a saint. When I ask why they are poor, I'm called a communist." -Archbishop Dom Helder Camara.

You can have reasonable arguments about whether minimum wage for fast food workers should be set at $15 an hour. I get it. But what disgusts me is the elitist snobbery and condescension toward fast food workers I see.
If the response to this increase were simply "$15 is too high" or "let the market set the rate", I could deal with that. That's fair game for debate. If the response were "the minimum wage for everyone should be $15, not just fast food workers," that'd be fine too.
Instead, the response I'm seeing far too often is that if you're older than 25 and working in fast food, you're a loser, an idiot and a piece of shit and you deserve whatever you get.
I was raised in a Catholic household. I was taught that all work was valuable, so long as it didn't involve harming others. 
Maybe having a work ethic is old-fashioned. Maybe it's more in vogue to say that you won't accept any job for under $40,000 a year and that you'll leech off the system until you do. I think that attitude wrong and I think it's right to incentivize work.
I also keep hearing people constantly bitching about people who'd rather stay on welfare rather than getting off their butts and working. So what happens when people DO get off their butts and work? Are they praised for contributing to society and not leeching off the system? No. They are treated like pieces of garbage if they work at the 'wrong' job.
You people on your high horses should be ashamed of yourselves. I know we live in a nasty, judgmental society but respect and basic human decency go a long way.

1 comment:

ADD said...

Thanks for saying this. A lot of otherwise intelligent and compassionate privileged lower middle class people I know seem to be uttering this kind of classist garbage. We need to oppose it at every turn.