Friday, April 25, 2014

Mississippi's indifference to born children

"When I give food to the poor, I'm called a saint. When I ask why they are poor, I'm called a communist." -Archbishop Dom Helder Camara.



Supporters of Mississippi’s strict new anti-abortion law are breaking their arms patting themselves on the back, gushing with their pride at supposedly protecting the health andwell-being of the state’s unborn.

But what about the born? 

Born children in the state have the highest poverty rate in the WORLD among children in developed countries. 

Born children in the state have the highest infant mortality rate in the country

Born children in the state have the highest obesity rate in the country

Born children in the state have the highest illiteracy rate in the country (tied with New Mexico).
 
Born children in the state have thehighest teen pregnancy rate in the country (which I guess they want to preserve).

To politicians in Mississippi, the fate of the unborn is important. 

Maybe one day, the most Christian state in the country will trouble itself to spend an ounce of energy worrying about children who are already born.

I don’t think I’ll hold my breath.
 

No comments: