Wednesday, December 02, 2009

An open letter to the lords of the press

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Dear media bigwigs who read this blog,
I'd like to state for the record that I'm not the least bit interested in Tiger Woods' driving or sexual habits. And while I ignore the tabloids and their identical twins on cable 'news,' I'm annoyed that news outlets that pretend to be serious continue to tell me that I should care.

I heard through the grapevine that the Nobel Peace Prize winner, obviously wedded to Benjamin Franklin's definition of insanity, has just ordered 30,000 more troops be sent to Afghanistan to beat their heads against a stone wall in the hopes of a different result; this cartoon sums it up well.

Call me a Philistine but I think the celebrity golfer's personal life is a little less important than all this. I know there are voyeurs interested in Tiger's private life, just as there are people obsessed with Jon and Kate and the Balloon Boy family and Farmville. You can report on these things if you want but please relegate them to where they belong: the entertainment section. Don't pollute the serious news sections and outlets with this tripe. I enjoy soccer, but it'd be a bit obscene to put it on the front page next to a story of Afghan civilians killed in a bombing raid.

I'm confident you'll heed my counsel and change your priorities... at least until the White House gatecrashers appear on Oprah.

Lovingly yours,
The (Fairly) Young Contrarian

No comments: