Saturday, September 05, 2009

Horse manure

Speaking of the collapse of journalistic standards, it's a remarkable indictment of the local daily that this was the top story on the front page of the print edition, a choice defended by Post-Star supremo Ken Tingley.

Call me old-fashioned, me being only a fairly young contrarian, but I think sports should very rarely be on the front page of a serious newspaper. And I'm an unabashed sports' fan.

The front page of the paper should only include sports' stories when it's something that truly envelops the community, such as the basketball state tournament in Glens Falls. Ordinary sports stories, including this horse tale, never belong.

Then again, I guess that's what you get when you put a former sports' editor in charge of the news' department.

No comments: