Monday, June 08, 2009

Local gay marriage rally

I was interested to read that there was a rally yesterday in Glens Falls in favor of same-sex marriage.

Now, I know we can't criticize opposition to legalization, lest we risk 'violating religious freedom' of gay marriage opponents (supporters not having free speech rights, apparently).

So I'll simply point out the first two comments on the article that has to do with giving same sex couples the same rights as opposite sex couples.

" Ummmmmmmm.... Thanks for making me lose my breakfast!!! "

and

" Sounds like not much will change for anybody cetrainly (sic) not attitudes. Looks like the this (sic) is really just another ACLU attack on religion disgusied (sic) in a phony equal rights package. "


Though a few other readers did debunk the ACLU attack on religion rubbish.

My blogging friend Bob over at Planet Albany also writes from time to time on gay marriage, though he opposes it. He also writes regular on ethics (or lack thereof) in Albany.

I think it's telling that his essays on ethics usually get few if any comments. His last one on gay marriage got 18. It's a sad commentary that two people who love each other wanting equal rights provokes more outrage than venal politicians.


Correction: In a previous version of this entry, I'd stated that Democratic state Sens. Pedro Espada Jr. and Hiram Montserrate were opposed to same-sex marriage. According to media reports, Espada is on record as being in favor of gay marriage and Montserrate is undecided. Thanks to reader Louis E. for questioning this.

3 comments:

Louis E. said...

Actually,I've read that Monserrate (unlike me) supports same-sex marriage.

PlanetAlbany said...

Correcting correction: It's Sen. Espada who is for gay marriage. Sen. Diaz is against it.

Brian said...

Corrected. Thanks.