Thursday, December 20, 2007

This I Believe

A slightly more personal offering than my usual polemics...

NPR has a great series called This I Believe, which is a revival of a 1950s radio series. In it, people spend three to five minutes giving some sort of statement or philosophy for their lives. I’m using a different format but here are some things I believe.
I believe ethics are a way of life. Either you believe in them or you don’t.

I believe the celebrity culture is not worth anyone’s attention. Being famous for being famous isn't a good enough reason for being famous.

I believe in respecting others. Not necessarily agreeing with every life choice they make but respecting who they are.

I believe that politeness is a greatly undervalued in the modern world.

I believe bars are a terrible place to meet people.

I believe that buying a piece of clothing just because it has a brand name on it is superficial, unless it is of superior quality.

I believe narrow-mindedness, snobbery and pomposity are three different versions of the same thing.

I believe that loving your country must never be equated with agreeing with the person who happens to be president... in wartime or any other time. I believe that these two things are only equated in dictatorships.

I believe Jerry Springer, professional wrestling and most political yap shows are three different versions of the same thing.

I believe that religion is neither good or evil and that its implementation depends on the what followers choose to focus on.

I believe that if your deity tells you to commit violence against innocent people, you need to shop around for a new one.

I believe that if the president of your country tells you to commit violence against innocent people, you need to shop around for a new one.

I believe that PBS history documentaries are ten times better than History Channel documentaries.

I believe that while small town life has its their flaws, it has many redeeming values even for open-minded, culturally-inclined people.

I believe that America is not the only country in the world and that Americans are not the only people in the world. I believe that too few Americans appreciate this. And I believe that those who don't should ask how that reconciles with their religious beliefs.

I believe that being humane is more important than being smart or being technologically advanced.

I believe that money is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

I believe that a life without a dream is not a life.

I believe there’s too little idealism in the world.

I believe that how you think is far more important than what you think.

I believe that your course in life is usually determined by whether you are a fundamentally positive or fundamentally negative person.

I believe that listening to other people is important. Listening with an open mind. Even when people aren’t talking to you. You can learn so much about people and the world by simply closing your mouth and paying attention, really paying attention.

I believe that helping others is its own reward.

I believe that children are more interesting than adults. I also believe they are easier to deal with than adults because, for better or worse, they are more straight-forward.

I believe that people who never have doubts are very dangerous.

I believe that people with no sense of humor are very dangerous.

I believe that just because you like to be alone at times doesn’t mean you’re lonely or a loner. I believe that being alone with your thoughts is important every once in a while.

I believe that sunsets are God’s way of saying, “Take ten minutes to slow down and relax.”

3 comments:

Scoop said...

I believe this is a pretty good post.

I write a lot of crazy stuff and many don't understand my sense of humor. I am an equal oppurtunity pain in the ass when it comes to "satirical social commentary"

PCS said...

Well said.

A Social Skidmark said...

Pretty good stuff. I agree with most. LOL.
ttyl
Kier