Thursday, September 13, 2007

The lights are on but is anyone home?

I don't mean to sound nasty but does anyone copy edit the editorials at The Post-Star?

I don't care how many fancy awards they win, I'm not a fan. The style of their editorials is usually very curt and flip, casual often to the point of insulting. Not quite as pompous as Ken Tingley's columns, but a bit grating and sometimes not exactly coherent.

Compare the style of The Post-Star's editorials with the editorials in any major daily newspaper and you'll notice the difference immediately.

I remember one editorial that began, "In the neighborhood we grew up in..."

The editorial is supposed to be the collective opinion of the editorial board. Did every editorial board member grow up in the same neighborhood? I doubt it.

And then you have today's editorial. The intent of the editorial is noble: preventing youth injuries on bikes, skateboards, etc.

It began:

Whenever he spots a teenager riding a bike without a helmet or sees a kid riding a motor scooter on the main road, he gets a sick feeling in his stomach.

He has personally endured every parent’s nightmare: watching a child lie in a hospital bed with a head injury, not knowing whether that child is going to live or die.


So you're waiting with baited breath to find out the identity of this mysterious 'he'? A child safety advocate? Some dad with a personal tragedy to tell?

I have no idea.

The following 32 paragraphs of the editorial did not contain one mention of who this mythical 'he' is.

I'm sure there's the occasional spelling or grammar error in my essays, but no one copy edits my work.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Well, there will always be The Chronicle, eh Brian?!

Scoop said...

The Post Star has its problems but I still like it. As far as the junior high news aka the Chronicle, my bird won't let me cover the bottom of his cage with it.